Sunday, May 9, 2010

adult twist on a childish favourite

In the spirit of all things garden. I decided to make a chocolate dirt pie just like my mother did for me when I was a kid. The secret is making your own homemade graham cracker crust which couldn't be easier! All you need to do is heat your oven to 350 degrees, crush about 8 full size crackers add to a medium sized bowl, add 1/4 cup of white sugar and about a 1/3 melted butter. Simply mix these three things together well and press into a pie tray. Add to preheated oven and bake for about 8 minutes. Feel free to use less sugar or omit and add a couple tablespoons of honey for it's natural sweetness and decrease to 1/4 of butter, just needs enough to coat all pieces.
crush em' real good

make sure to press against the sides of the pie dish

step 2: make chocolate instant pudding mix according to package directions, allow 10 minutes to set in fridge, it will thicken. Give it a quick stir and add to cooled pie crust

step 3: add a layer of fresh berries, choose your favourite or whats on sale... like  I did

huge strawberries, or just tiny hands

cover with a layer of cookie crumbs. I suggest Oreo

the ol' familiar worms on the dirt pie

My boyfriend recently baught me a cake carring case, he knows me too well. Perfect since we are going to a dinner party at a freinds and bringing dessert. How clever.

This is a very easy almost no bake recipe that is perfect for those who want to make something fun, tasty and not too challenging. Hopefully you will all make this kid classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment